Thursday, July 25, 2013

Deciding Professions in Adolescence

          I hear my family moving about downstairs while I sit here trying to figure out what to do with my life. My brother's lotr video game rings out and resonates upstairs into my room, which I don't mind but it makes me wish more that I could go on some sort of epic adventure and defeat orcs myself. But I must content my thoughts with general mind-switches and sighs, because the world of Lord of the Rings and the world where I am sitting on my bed in ballet slippers and hoodie are two very different things.
          My whole life I've been kinda just given things, how I believe a lot of middle-class white family offspring are, expected to simply sit by and get good grades and just let everything fall into place when I find my passion. I don't like doing that. I don't like just to sit by, so I try to become involved in everything I can like plays or clubs or my own little projects or whatever. And that's good, people say, start building up my skills because I have time to decide what I want to do. No pressure or anything, but that doesn't change the fact that the pressure is on.
         Then comes next year, senior year. Woo-hoo, the big she-bang, yada yada. Now we're expected to become grown, and expected to pick a college that we want to be at for the next four years of our life and pick a profession that we will most likely pursue for the rest of our lives. But I'm just a Noelle. I don't always get good grades, I haven't found a passion, and I hardly remember what I had for breakfast this morning. How can I be expected to pick something I want to do for the rest of my life reasonably?
         I suppose some people are born with a certain passion for what they want to do. Do they consider themselves lucky? For I find interest in so many things, and right now my mind bounces everywhere from the movie industry to architecture design to journalism to art. I have so many interests. I get bored easily and don't like to sit in one place very long and I like to be active in the world. I probably speak for many kids when I say I'm scared to narrow it down to one or two majors. It's weird that there are so many possibilities, and weirder yet that in the country we live in we can achieve any of them if we truly wanted. Which is cool I guess, but what now? How do we choose? It's not just some simple answer that someone can feed us. Our whole school career we've been expected to memorize answers and repeat them back to earn our intelligence. (Even though that doesn't even measure intelligence). I don't think I even trust the school system. Now we're expected to pay thousands for the same thing on a larger scale. Maybe it'll make more sense when I get there.
Maybe I'll just be a philosopher adventurer. That sounds cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment